Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

On Closings, Critics and Crushes

Well, the end is near, we've only 4 more left, with our final show a Sunday matinee, and then the car gets packed and I head home on Monday. As exhausting, and physically and emotionally draining as this one has been, I will truly miss it. Perhaps it's because it was such a short run, after all our hard work, or perhaps it's because women don't often get the chance to perform such challenging, and fulfilling roles. Those roles are a rare find, so we cherish the ones that we can savour, and miss them when we are done. This production will rank as one of 2 highlights of my career. The sets, lights and music were inspiring, and I think the audiences were treated to something very special, and through their laughter and their tears I hope they were somehow inspired.

I was very blessed to have received, across the board, some lovely reviews. In fact, as some of you might remember, there's a critic in a neighbouring city that happens to review here, as well, that has hated everything I have done in that "other city". I was mortified when I heard he was there at opening night. I warned the director, producer and anyone else who would listen, not to expect any praise for my work. I even bet someone a soda that it would not be positive. I lost the bet, and it turns out it was one of those embarrassingly good reviews that look as if you had paid the critic to write it. He raved about me, which just proves what a joke the art of criticism is. I graduated from "bad" to "adequate" to "brilliant" all in the span of a year. Well, they say if you believe the good ones you have to believe the bad ones as well. But good reviews are always nice because they, hopefully, bring the audiences in, and you always wish that for the theatre.

This was probably one of the nicest experiences I've had in a long time. The housing was incredible, the stage manager and crew were wonderful, always looking out for me, and the director and producer were fabulous. I even wound up having a crush on someone, and although it never turned into anything, it was fun to look forward to seeing him, whenever that occurred. On opening night he gave me this beautiful wire flower made of stones which he had a friend of his make for me. I'm still trying to figure out why he would give me the flower if he wasn't interested, but I've never understood men, and that's a whole other post.

The only minus was not being able to spend any time enjoying the environs. The play has just been too all consuming, but that's okay. I feel I am leaving with something quite wonderful to remember.

So, I will be back to blogging, as usual as of next week.

Blessings to all!

8 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

sounds like you would have "paid" them to get to do what you just have done incog!!.... bravo!! and as far as the "fallen" crush, you may be loney in love but you are a "winner" in life.. i say this if you need to be perked up.... he he!!

Stylin said...

Hi Incog
Please,please email me the writeup.Pleaaaaase
Men are strange...never can predict them.

Z said...

I am SO THRILLED that nasty ol' critic raved about you! (I, too, would love to have you email me a copy!)
And so happy your whole experience was such a good one. I can well imagine all that rehearsing and then "it's over!" it happens with musical shows, too. Sometimes, we rehearsed for weeks, memorizing reams of music, for ONE SHOW! ARGH!!

Congratulations, Incog! Sounds so fantastic...you deserve it! xxx

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Congratulations. As to men -- we don't understand you ladies either....

The Vegas Art Guy said...

good for you, and we men can't figure out women so we're even! ;)

Karen Townsend said...

Congrats, Incog! Sounds like a wonderful run, indeed. May the next one be so, too.

Incognito said...

PATJ: Nope... too much work to pay to do it or do it for free even. And there are certain theatre companies in NY and LA that are membership companies and you do have to pay them to perform. No thank you. :-) and thanks for the perk up. :-)

FRASYPOO: no you can't!! Guess that's why they wrote that book "Men are from Mars, WOmen from Venus".

Z: Thanks Z! One show, that would be the pits. I've heard of a week's worth of performances but one night. wow. xoxo

PAN: Thanks so much.. and yeah, i guess we can be pretty complex as well.. though it is easier to understand us than vice versa.

VEGASARTGUY: Guess we are, but as I mentioned to Pan.. we're easier to figure out. :-)

KAREN: Thanks, m'dear. I hope so.. whatever that next one might be.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your victory, you really deserve it.