Pages

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Michelle Obama Talks About Visiting Barack's Home Country Of "kenya"

I want to preface this by saying I am not a "birther"- I don't necessarily believe that Obama was born in Kenya, and even if he was I could care less. It's not his place of birth that I have a problem with, nor his race, it's everything else about the man that I find suspect.

I do find it interesting, however, that Michelle Obama during a speech at an LGBT delegate luncheon with reference to the problem of AIDs said the following:

"....Barack has led by example. When we took our trip to Africa and visited his home country in Kenya, we took an HIV test....."


His home country is Kenya? Yes his father was born there, and one might extrapolate that since his father was Kenyan, he too is part Kenyan. But my mother was not born in this country either, and yet I would never refer to her birthplace as "my home country". I too was born abroad, though since my father was with the US government I was automatically considered a US citizen, and yet I would never refer to my birthplace as "my home country". In fact I lived in many different countries until I came to the US for college, but I am an American first and foremost. This is my home country, and since Barack Obama also happens to be a US citizen, this should be considered his "home country."

Who knows why she said what she said, and I'm sure no-one would be mentioning anything about this particular comment had it not been for another of her infamous statements during the presidential campaign:

"For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I'm Really Proud of My Country"


I guess they are just more proud of Kenya then they are of the United States. I, on the other hand, am proud to be an American!

1 comment:

Incognito said...

Commoncents,

Thankyou and sure I'd link with you. Let me know.