Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama- Again!

I used to love Colin Powell, and would have voted for him in a heartbeat had he ever run for president. That all changed in 2008 when he endorsed and voted for Barack Obama. I was shocked and saddened that this so-called Republican and former Secretary of State during the Bush administration would betray the party to vote for someone so extreme and clueless. Now he's endorsed Obama once again, after an epic four years of failure, in a "CBS This Morning" show:

"You know, I voted for him in 2008 and I plan to stick with him in 2012, and I'll be voting for he and Vice President Joe Biden next month"

This time around it feels like even more of a betrayal in spite of the fact that he insists he is still a Republican.

"I think I'm a Republican of a more moderate mold," he said, "and that's something of a dying breed, I'm sorry to say."

No, sorry Mr. Powell, you are nowhere near being a moderate Republican. I consider myself a moderate of sorts, and I would NEVER vote for Obama. EVER.

During the interview he praised Obama for his supposed foreign policy accomplishments (other than Bin Laden, which ones?) and his handling of the economy (really?).

"When he took over, the country was in very very difficult straits. We were in the one of the worst recessions we had seen in recent times, close to a depression. The fiscal system was collapsing. Wall Street was in chaos, we had 800,000 jobs lost in that first month of the Obama administration and unemployment peaked a few months later at 10 percent. So we were in real trouble. The auto industry was collapsing, the housing was start[ing] to collapse and we were in very difficult straits. And I saw over the next several years, stabilization come back in the financial community, housing is now starting to pick up after four years, it's starting to pick up. Consumer confidence is rising."

He went on to say:

 "Generally we've come out of the dive and we're starting to gain altitude." "The unemployment rate is too high, people are still hurting in housing but I see that we're starting to rise up."
Says who?

As for foreign policy, he said he saw

 "the president get us of one war, start to get us out of a second war and did not get us into any new wars. And finally I think that the actions he has taken with respect to protecting us from terrorism have been very very solid. And so, I think we ought to keep on the track that we are on."

No mention of Benghazi, of course.

John McCain, was equally disappointed and saddened.


Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) blasted Powell on Fox News Radio's "Kilmeade & Friends" Thursday morning.
"Well, I’m just saddened because, you know, I used to be a great admirer of Colin Powell. We were friends. I think one of the sad aspects of his career is going to the United Nations Security Council and telling them things about Iraq that were absolutely false," he said.
"Obviously, my view of the situation in Iraq is we’re losing," he continued. "We’re losing what we won thanks to the surge. Al Qaeda is doubled. There’s training camps in Western Iraq. In Afghanistan, all we do is say we’re leaving. Al Qaeda is on the comeback all over northern Africa. They’ve taken over parts of Mali. All I can say is that Gen. Powell, you disappoint us and you have harmed your legacy even further by defending what has clearly been the most feckless foreign policy in my lifetime."

You might not like McCain, but he's absolutely spot on in his assessment.

No comments: