Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Burqa Blue Band- Video of the week

Burqa Blue Band has been around for at least a decade, but I only just discovered this. The all-female, underground band based in Afghanistan has traveled as far as Germany, and even has an album. No-one knows who they are, and I'm not sure if they still exist.

Here's another tune "No Burka".

What a hoot.





- Of course it was a joke to sing in the burkas, but it was also necessary to wear them. If people in Afghanistan knew who the members of the Burka Band were, we could be attacked or killed because there are still a lot of religious fanatics here, says Nargiz, who hasn't told any of her friends that she has played in the Burka Band.

My mother wears a burka
My father does it too
I have to wear a burqa
The burqa it is blue

The sky over Kabul
is also very blue
The blue is from the burqa
Burka burka blue

Blue Blue Burka Blue

My grandma wears a burka
And My grandpa does it too
I will wear this burqa
But only just for you

We all now wear a burqa
you don't know who is who
If you want to meet your sister
It can be your uncle too

You give me all your love
You give me all your kisses
And then you touch my burqa
and do not know who is it

Blue Blue Burka Blue

My mother wears blue jeans now
and I am so surprised
The things are changing faster
I don't know if it's right

No comments: